Wednesday, July 13

Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants


It is clear to me that I am a digital native.  I grew up playing Number Munchers and the Oregon Trail, how could I not be a digital native?  I’ve always enjoyed using computers, playing on different and updated gaming systems and listening to the next best music player.  Also, I enjoy the fast pace life of the Internet.  I can’t wait to find out about the next big news event.  Unfortunately, newspapers don’t have a refresh button.   But, I like the idea of living in the time when computers, telephones, television and radio weren’t around.  A time when, the only way to contact people, would be via the postal service.  I think life would be much simpler and slower.  I’ll except that I am a digital native and will embrace new technology as it comes.  To this day, my mother doesn’t have a debit card.  How could I be a digital immigrant?
As a teacher, my experience with use of technology in the classroom is limited.   I never used an elmo or overhead projector.  I used a smart board once, but only to mess around with it.  I never implemented blogs or social networking sites into my classes.  And, I rarely created interesting PowerPoint’s.   These facts are something I want to change.  I look forward to using technology with my classes.  We’re at a time that in order to be successful teachers, we must use technology.  If we do so, and we do it correctly, we’ll do great.
As a student, the use of technology in high school and college is about equal.  I can’t think of a time when technology was used more effectively in college.  I do remember making a sweet PowerPoint about the Plymouth Prowler.  This was my first time that I realized I could create something really cool with the use of computers. 
As a learner at Concordia, I’ve realized the importance of how important it is to implement technology into a lesson, but also know how to use it.  It’s clear that when a professor has a well-developed PowerPoint or well-timed movie, I’m much more engaged to the class.  As a new teacher in the 21st century, using technology in the classroom should be mandatory. Marc Prensky (2001) states that, “Digital Immigrant teachers assume that learners are the same as they have always been, and that the same methods that worked for the teachers when they were students will work for their students now” (p. 3).  I think if we don’t continue to be innovative with are teachings, we can easily fall into the trap of a digital immigrant teacher. 
Children today, use iPad’s, have cell-phones, and connect with their friends online.  Once in the classroom, there is no way that they’re brains are going to slow down for the digital immigrant educators that don’t use technology. Prensky (2001) says, “it is highly unlikely the digital natives will go backwards” (p. 4).  This is true, and if we don’t keep thinking forward, we may soon be going backwards.

2 comments:

  1. You seem confident defining yourself as a digital native, yet you express some curiosity about living in a less electronic era. What appeals to you about a time before computers, radio, tv, etc? Would you be different if you lived in a time with less technology? Why or why not? What benefits, if any, of a less technological time should we make sure our students appreciate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you are a Digital Native. However it sounds like you'd prefer to be a digital nothing. It appears to me that you are a Digital Native out of nescessity, because you must, but you'd prefer not to have any of this technology stuff. I think you'd be better off living in the wild west of the United States in the 1800's. No tv, computers, or radio. But would you really be happier with out these things? It may just be something you take for granted.

    ReplyDelete